Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Co-ed mountain biking

It's hard to have perfectly matched skills and strengths when you ride with a buddy, and particularly when this person happens to be your spouse.

So, the inevitable is that you will have to wait, ride slowly and somehow utilize the “down-time” for doing, or thinking about, something constructive. That's precisely what I do when I ride with my wife. My focus changes from going as fast as I can, to becoming technically better and much more relaxed.

I use the relatively slower riding speed to concentrate on executing my hairpin turns to perfection, to relieve my muscle tension and learn to see as far ahead as I can and mentally memorize the immediate path. I'm sure this way to exercise new skills is transferable to many other sports.

I began using it when I instructed and I skied with students, many years ago...

No comments: