Sunday, July 26, 2015

Ian Ferguson, 1936 – 2015

On July 14, Ian Ferguson passed away after a long battle with cancer. Ian was born in New England, skied for the University of Vermont and taught skiing at nearby Stowe.

In 1961 he became a rep for the Head Ski Company and worked his way inside to become product manager and national sales manager. In 1969, he moved West to Colorado to become director of sales for Lange ski boots. For a short time, Ian rejoined the Head Ski Company before becoming a media rep for Ski Magazine in 1974.

I got to know Ian when I came to the United States, attended major ski industry functions and bought media from him in the 80's and 90's when I moved out West. If there's one thing that was crystal-clear with Ian, it was his passion for skiing. I still remember a wet, snowy March day when we skied Jupiter in Park City in the mid 90s and had lunch at my house.

The deeper the snow, the steeper the slope, the wider his grin! He retired in 1999 and the last time we talked on the phone was on October 13, 2009. Happy trails into the wide blue yonder, my friend!

No comments: