Sunday, June 4, 2017

Sergeant Pepper redux

As a die-hard Beatles fan I didn't want to miss last night's PBS special about their landmark album “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Heart’s Club Band” on its 50th year anniversary.

Howard Goodall, an author and music historian re-explained the genesis of each song contained in the album, plus “Strawberry fields” and “Penny Lane” which weren't.

He tried to debunk many things I thought about these songs and went into minute details explaining the production work. He failed to convince me as I thought that the end result was more Beatles-induced “chaos theory” than anything else, which after all is called artistry instead of perfect engineering.

On top of that, why not have the two surviving members of the band interviewed to add some credibility to the entire piece? I also would have liked to hear a few of the songs in their entirety but was denied that small pleasure. Thumb down!

No comments: