Saturday, November 4, 2017

Would you have rented this guy a truck?

The last terrorist attack in New York City begs lot of questions.

Beside the official's quandary as to prevent future similar incidents and the legitimate concern about not demonizing the entire American Muslim community, there is room for some discussion about using basic, common sense versus getting blinded by a rigid adherence to political correctness.

Another way to address the situation is to turn the problem on its head and wonder “Would I have rented the truck to that man?” It's undeniable that Sayfullo Saipov didn't have the good, clean look of the ordinary American.

If I had been behind the rental desk, assuming I had a fair dose of common sense and knowing what I knew about the Nice and other European street massacres, I would have thought in seeing and hearing Saipov “This guy must be middle-easterner and probably a devout Muslim to boot.”

After looking at his driver's license and deposit payment, I might have casually asked him: “What are you going to use this truck for?” He probably would have replied “I'm gonna help move one of my friends”.

Again, I might have struggled between my common sense and the easy path into racial profiling. The bottom line is that depending on Saipov's demeanor, his tone of voice and body language I would have rented the truck but also called the local police, explained my suspicions and ask them to keep a close look on that person.

Had you been behind the counter, what would you have done?

No comments: