Friday, January 18, 2019

Ski construction, usage and durability

I've always been an unabashed proponent and user of lightweight skis.

I can remember a time, in the early 70s when I went to the Dynastar factory, near my home, and bought a couple pairs of featherweight, prototype skis that were extremely fun for a very short time before they totally disintegrated under my feet.

This brings me to the point that what's very light isn't generally sturdy and won't last. This was made extremely clear to me, two days ago when I pulled my skis out of the car roof rack, ready for another few hours of adventures on the snow.
I noticed that the binding plate of my Dynastar Powertrack, had pulled out from the ski in the toe area. I had to return home and change skis.

The damaged, super-light skis were just wood core and fiberglass, but as a result, super fragile, in the absence of any metal laminate or binding inserts. Sure, these days, construction has become as flimsy as possible to save every possible fraction of Euro and particularly the (Look) ski bindings are now built like toys.

I since fixed the damage, and I'm looking forward to get back on the boards, but the morale of the story is that while you can make daring choices, you simply need to adjust your expectations accordingly!

No comments: