Monday, January 7, 2019

Skiing-inspired songs or music?

In watching a documentary about George Harrison's life, I noticed one recording of his called “Ski-ing”, that's just an instrumental piece going back to 1968.

As I was thinking, there's nothing that I know in terms of skiing-inspired song or music in the English culture that I ever had a chance to listen to, which would tend to show that skiing isn't part of the English or American Culture.

Contrast this with French when there are at least two or three such songs, with one most notorious and dumb song about Killy (“C'est tout bon”) by Hugues Auffray, the Frenc folk-song artist in these days.

There's another song still from the same year created by Marcel Amont, called “Schuss”, that was picked to become the official Grenoble Olympics soundtrack.

I'd guess that German speaking countries must have a plethora of ski songs, but I haven't yet begun to explore that major ski culture...  


No comments: