Saturday, November 6, 2021

Aloha!

Before anything else, Hawaii is a welcoming culture and place. Well, Covid-19 through a monkey wrench into that concept. 

Before we left the island, we were asked to provide all of our health information on line to the State Health Authority that wasn’t nearly as lax as our good old State of Utah. 

Upon completing the process, we were given CR codes along with an official on-line stamp of approval that we were good to land and come to that earthly paradise. 

Well I thought that it would be enough to show that once, upon disembarking, but when I showed up at the car rental place, they asked me to see not just my CR code, but also the governmental okay that the employee expected me to show off my smart phone.

The problem was that I did all that work on my desktop and had no idea what my password for travel.havwaii.gov was. 

On top of that it was 9:30 pm when we landed, so by adding to this a 6 hour flight and a 4 hour time difference, I felt totally exhausted and not in the mood to submit to that kind of brain-wasting exercise. 

So it took me forever, sweating profusely in the hot tropical evening air, to get a new password and be able to drive away with our rental car. 

Our rental condo was some thirty minute drive away on a perfect road and when we got there, we couldn’t get in, as the entry code we were given didn’t seem to work and we couldn’t get in our unit. I called the manager on duty on his cell phone and he apologized for the inconvenience while he set out to reprogram the code. 

When the door finally opened, we discovered that the place was a total mess, with the beds undone and no departure cleaning done. I got back on the phone with the manager who apologized again and said that he’d relocate us somewhere else. 

It was now well over 3am Park City time, and he found us a place to stay inside a gated community, a mile down the road, so we had to learn how to open the gate, find the unit among a huge condo complex in total obscurity, struggle to open a lock bock inside which we found the key to the unit. 

We were pretty upset but we had finally made it!

No comments: