Monday, November 8, 2021

On a wing and a prayer

Do you still remember the ill-fated Boeing 737 max and its terrible software problem? Well that pretty scary flaw got fixed God know how, but eventually the planes were re-authorized to fly. 

The airlines tweaked the name a little bit so it wouldn’t spook passengers, hopefully trained their pilots to the enhanced crutch that make the plane fly without crashing. 

A year ago, I even said that I’d wait a couple more years to venture myself inside that plane, but unbeknownst to my, this day happened late October ! 

We were flying on Southwest on our way to Hawaii and we flew the 737 Max8 (a new name for the same bird!) on one leg out of four. Southwest has 68 Boeing 737 MAX 8s, nearly all of which I’m told are currently active. 

For now, its fleet MAX aircraft is overshadowed by 678 other 737-700s and 737-800s in its large fleet. I must admit that I wasn’t totally reassured when I realized I was seating in that aircraft that flies thank to a convoluted software, but I was even more grateful that my wife didn’t realized that we were trapped inside that once-doomed aircraft. 

She simply found its seats pretty uncomfortable and I had to agree with her. Yet, that below part comfort wasn’t compensating for my fear of surviving the flight. I guess ignorance is bliss, and yes, we landed safe and sound with crashing!

No comments: