Friday, May 20, 2022

Primary voting season!

Recently, I was watching the late George Carlin, an American stand-up comedian, whom I like on subjects like religion, but do not appreciate his vulgarity. He was saying: “I don’t vote, because like that, I’m not to blame for the lame politicians that get elected”. 

Totally the opposite of what I’m thinking. I value voting, believe that each vote counts, take full responsibility for my choices and wish voting would be mandatory in the US. 

That brings me to today’s subject, the upcoming mid-term election in the US this fall, in which voter turnout is about 40% compared to 60% during presidential elections, even though 2020 and 2018 marked the highest presidential and midterm turnout in over a century. 

To me, if there’s a 50% voter participation it means that my vote counts double and that’s an important consideration that makes me not want to miss it! 

By international standards, voter turnout in the United States is low. In countries with compulsory voting, like Australia, Belgium, and Chile, voter turnout was around 90% in the 2000s. Other countries, like Austria, Sweden, and Italy, enjoy turnout rates near 80%. 

Overall, OECD countries experience turnout rates of about 70% which is close to the last French presidential election that scored 72%. So don’t hesitate one second, vote, your voice is guaranteed to count for much more than one single one!

No comments: