Monday, May 16, 2022

Tesla’s poor salesmanship

Tesla’s sales department reminds me of Apple stores and their young, detached and “cool” staff, not to be bothered by a 74 years old like me that can’t understand anything about technology. There is a subtle message that “I’m far to smart to by annoyed by customers like you”. 

We recently took delivery of a long awaited Tesla (just six months from ordering to delivery time). The young man that was in charge of handling our delivery didn’t seem to enjoy being there. We don’t remember his name and to make that part even easier, he even had no business card to hand out to us. 

He barely just showed me how to open the doors of the car, what was inside the two trunks front and back, how to start the car by pressing the brake pedal, where reverse, drive and park where and that was it. He looked extremely relieved to see us leave his parking lot, there was no way for him to hide it. 

I drove off with the car, my wife was following me to a place where we were trading-in our previous car. Our new Tesla had been sitting in the sun and I couldn’t find a frigging way of adjusting the cabin temperature, it was awful. This car is totally controled by a central screen that, at first, looks forbidding and intimidating. 

When we made it back home, I had to watch countless non-Tesla videos to get a grasp on the best way to adjust the wheel, seat, mirrors, etc. and understand the basic function. 

The overall purchasing experience was awful, yet the car is absolutely wonderful. Instead of wanting to go to Mars or buy Twitter, Elon Musk should fix Tesla customer service and bring it into the 21st century!

No comments: