Sunday, April 12, 2009

Death of a computer (part II)

Prior to going skiing this morning, I've decided to unpack my new “baby.” It sure smells new, and to my dismay runs “Vista” instead of the old “XP” system, which I'm told is bug ridden, but again, I didn't give myself much choice... The biggest problem with a new computer and a new operating system is exactly like starting a new life or a new relationship. You need to change old habits, learn something new, give up old acquaintances and procedures - in one word, endure a major transformation. In fact, this kind of incident is what makes you realize that it's not just your old trusted administrative assistant that went belly-up, but a big part of yourself. You try to reload some programs that could sound trivial to others but are important to you – a sure sign that there's some clinging to the past - and realize they won't work anymore... I always sing the merit of personal re-invention, but now realize that I hate the process. Change remains a cruel exercise no one is ever looking for!

No comments: