Wednesday, October 28, 2009

My sure way to fight sleeplessness

Like most mature adults, I hardly ever sleep a full night without waking up one, two or even more times. Sometimes, I have difficulties getting back to sleep, and when that happens I use my nearly foolproof method; no pills, no magic brew, nothing harmless to my body. Just a great method, but the explanation is a bit long, so listen up.

I used to travel an awful lot, first all over America and to Europe; later on, this became Asia, Europe and America. Since most of my travels were in economy class, repeated jet-lag and sleep deprivation took a severe toll on me. After about ten years of that, I developed a system to effectively fight the nastiness of time change, that I still use these days, but that would warrant a full story. I also became extremely effective at finding four vacant seats on the center row of the typical wide body plane, to stretch myself and get several hours of comfortable sleep.

Over the decades, these four empty seats became my sole focal point, my obsession each time I boarded a transoceanic flight. As a result, these days, when I can't seem to be able to fall asleep, I visualize this same seating arrangement, those last four vacant seats waiting for me to narrowly extend my body over them, just like on a providential bed, I imagine the muffled, powerful roar of the jet engines, thank God for having reserved this special spot just for me and without fail, succumb to a deep slumber.

Try it and if doesn't quite work the first time, keep at it, use more of your imagination and you'll eventually find a soothing rest; good luck!

No comments: