Friday, October 2, 2009

Ski Magazine resorts rankings

When I perused the October issue of Ski, I already knew that Deer Valley had once more clinched the number one position and that Park City had moved up to number four. Since both are our local resorts, I can't help but think that this publicity should have a positive impact on our local economy. This said, I scratch my head when I see that The Canyons is ranked number four in access, in spite of being significantly easier to get to (from Salt Lake airport) than either Deer Valley or Park City. I also smile when I see that Deer Valley remains on top in spite of discriminating snowboarders and forcing families that would prefer to ski and ride to split company during their stay; that is silly.

I certainly see what Ski Magazine is trying to do, but the exercise is awkward and doesn't reflect the way folks recreate in this day and age. Let me clarify my point; most visitors to Park City sample several of the local resorts during their stay; one or two days in Park City and Deer Valley as well as The Canyons. Same story in Aspen: One day Ajax, another Highlands and perhaps a couple at Snowmass. If I were to stay in the Vail Valley, I'd split my turns between Beaver Creek and Vail, and I'm not even talking about Breck and Keystone or the entire shore of Lake Tahoe. All this to say that it would make much more sense for Ski to look at a given locale, like Park City, Lake Tahoe or Summit County, Aspen or the Vail Valley and look at their various lift companies as amenities available to the vacationer as this happens in the real world. The survey would make good practical sense, gain a lot in credibility and would help stimulate some long needed improvements in the way American consume snow sports. For example, the three Park City mountains might finally come to their senses and interconnect, Summit County would offer a common pass including Copper. Winter Park, Solneve and Loveland could join forces, Lake Tahoe could do something significantly more convenient for its clientele.

Sure, it would make it hard for resorts like Telluride, Big Sky or Steamboat to stand-up, but that's the way life goes! It's time for Ski Magazine to finally realize that things are changing; at least they have in Europe for the past 40 years and America is still frozen into a glacial past. I think it's time to get globally warmed up and inspired, and by the way the magazine should change its name to something more inclusive like “Snow Sports” or something similar...

No comments: