Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Managing inept folks...

When I ended my working career a few years ago, I was relieved to get out of managing people or “baby-sitting” them, as I used to say. I didn't know that several years later I'd find myself in the midst of the most challenging management situation I've ever encountered!

My current building project pits me against a set of characters that are woefully unrealistic, incompetent and hopeless. Yet, I have a contract with them and letting them go for non-performance wouldn't be in my very best interest, so I'm left doing the best with what I have and this takes walking a very fine line between demanding what I believe is right and not totally antagonizing the opposite party.

In four month from now, I'll be in a position to reveal the secret of my management success. Sure, I plan to win that one!

No comments: