Sunday, November 10, 2013

The Avoriaz ski school saga

Part 6 and final installment

Following a series of discussions with the national ski instructor association, and some steady work with our attorney, a final meeting took place on December 17, 1973, at the ski-school. I couldn't attend it as I was still in Germany completing my language course.

On that occasion, a vote was taken to decide if the excluded members of the ski-school should regain their positions within the organization or start a splinter organization on their own (this wasn't a stated option, but would have been an inevitable outcome.) The vote was rather tight, but this time reason prevailed and the three excluded members regained their membership status.

Even though they belonged to the “opposite faction”, both Anselme Baud and Danielle Couttet, his wife-to-be, voted in our favor and changed things for the better. Without their votes, we'd still be in ski-limbo! Another letter was sent, advising us this time that we were back on board. What a waste of time and energy!

The ordeal was over and with it, my motivation to carry on in the job was no longer there. I began to seriously work towards a good exit strategy. In the ensuing months, I would start looking for an inside job within the ski industry and put my career of “selling turns” to a final, "hockey-style" stop.

In many ways, I look at these moments as a blessing in disguise that got me out of that seasonal activity and opened the portals of an exciting, diversified and rewarding career; a very good move that, in retrospect, I wouldn't have missed for everything. Today, this story is well behind me, the hard-feeling are long gone, all is forgiven and that's the end of the story!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

At the time of this vote I was in honeymoon and I must say that I have forgotten all the details of these events you mentioned like the proposal made by Edmond to the ski school members to buy the vacant piece of real estate that would become the Café de la Gare.
After the Challenge des Moniteurs in Courchevel I got engaged and my teaching career came to an end.
I did not even remember that Dominique had been elected director of the ski school. I thought he was already working as an "independent" (like François Baud had been since the start of the ski school in 1966) during the previous season.
Also looking at the results of the vote, it's weird that most "against exclusion" instructors left the ski school to start the "Ecole de Ski Fantastique".
A book could be written about the early years of Avoriaz and its ski school.
Chantal Bourreau's book missed the essentials and does not relate the facts the way they really happened but after 45 years I wouldn't be able to relate the facts chronologically. My memories are only snapshots.