Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The Avoriaz ski school saga

Part 2 

When I returned from my ski season in Australia, I was made aware of the sneaky purchase of that commercial space by a handful of our associates. Filled with my youth, passion and sharp focus, I didn't think twice and became one of the lead activists.
I was not even fully certified, but was made to believe that I had what it took to be leading the charge. Immediately, a huge chasm formed between the two camps and the once fun atmosphere that prevailed among us turned into poison.

Through family and friendly ties, the two factions where about equal in numbers. At the time I was playing hard but also working hard, putting some 8 hours teaching, each day, yet I mustered enough energy to become a watchdog on the executive committee.

At the end of an unpleasant season, a new director was elected on April 21, 1972, by a slim majority and the “offenders” where sidelined. The new head of the ski school was Dominique Mollaret, also a mountain guide, while his sidekick, performing the duties of technical director was no other than Henri Marullaz.

This election result was soon challenged by the opposite faction that lodged a protest before the French ski instructor association. In a letter dated May 22, 1972, the later ruled that, if the electoral process was consistent with the Avoriaz ski school by-laws, it wasn't in accordance with the rules proposed by the association. As a result, a new vote was ordered for the following June 3, in St. Gervais, near Chamonix.

To be continued...

No comments: