Wednesday, October 15, 2014

How are my parts holding up?

A few days ago, I wished Sven Coomer, one of my FB friends, a happy birthday. Sven is seven years my elder, but do just a few years even count at my ripe age? I just told him that just like Mastercard was “priceless”, his looks were “timeless.” It's true, he hasn't changed a bit. This was his response:

“Thank you. I wonder if priceless means "expensive" ...

However as time goes on as with an off-road T-model there are fewer and fewer redeemable or reusable parts, paying dearly now for always being outside and training relentlessly at every imaginable sporting activity from dawn till dusk and working merchant ships to get around the world ... before air travel was affordable.

I never heard about or spoiled by such luxuries as physical therapists, massage or other 'practors to help recovery from those times I didn't land on my feet. It was always get back on the horse and keep going. How are your parts holding up?”

And my answer: 

“Most of my parts – except my hair – are holding up quite remarkably. Sure, I'm quite newer than you are but I've never have been a strong man. I was always struggling in all of my athletic endeavors. Case in point, I was always following my skis instead of getting ahead of them, same thing in mountaineering or bike riding.

I became a 'smooth skier' because, unlike you, I didn't have the built, the athletic ability or a total absence of fear to even afford an 'aggressive' style. It's only when I returned to some serious skiing and mountain biking at the turn of century, while I still was in my early fifties, that I had a series of serious accidents.

I was pushing the envelope and that dubious effort lasted until I was around 63, my personal best. At that point, I realized it was time to slow down, because I simply couldn't go just as fast and also because I had to save my carcass, if I wanted to die – as a friend of mine puts it so aptly – in reasonably good health!”

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I learned so much when I worked with Sven... I had become a pretty good boot fitter and he took me to another level... my interest in biomechanics and more efficient transfer of energy to the ski was all enhanced with Sven... My "parts" had some really big challenges a few years ago, and I now value good health and the chances to feel the excitement on the hill... now to transfer that joy and wisdom to the next generation...