Saturday, August 20, 2016

Portillo 1966

Fifty years ago, the world ski championships were held in a small Chilean resort, high up in the Andes, from August 4 to August 14, and were dominated by a surprising French ski team that managed to win 16 medals out of 24.

To this day, it's still the only alpine world championship contested in the southern hemisphere.

During that summer of 1966, I lived in the French Alps and was waiting tables at the family's restaurant, following each day the amazing results of my home team on the local newspaper, as I don't think we even get them on the radio.

The weather in the Alps was terrible with rain everyday, and while I was toiling, I was also dreaming that I would, some day, ski Portillo.

As of today, my wish has yet to be fulfilled...

No comments: