Friday, November 16, 2018

Recycled Olympics?

These days, Salt Lake City, as well as Denver, are trying to convince the U.S. Olympic Committee that they're the perfect venue for the distant 2030 Olympics. Reno-Tahoe was part of that group until they dropped the idea a few weeks ago.

Both cities are joining Lilyhammer, Norway, in throwing their hat in the ring. Just like Lilyhammer, Salt Lake has the entire infrastructure, including the usual "white elephants" like bobsleigh runs and jumps, in place to host the games, plus a brand new airport to be partially completed in 2020.
Am I excited about that bid? Not really. I'll be in my early 80s at that point and I've never cared much for the Olympic Movement that I find overflowing with egos and greed.

I simply think that folks from down-under, that want to promote their winter product and know-how, like Australia, Argentina, Chile or New-Zealand, should be given a chance, but that would be too much to ask, I guess...

No comments: