Saturday, September 7, 2019

Mt. Timpanogos, the long walk

Early this week, after a three-year hiatus, I decided to return to Mt. Timpanogos, in the company of my daughter.
I soon discovered what a difference several years can make on a septuagenarian climbing performance. In years past, that summer climb had always been a grueling experience, but this time, it became sheer agony for me.

My backpack felt way too heavy, the trail overly steep and the sun far too warm. This wasn’t taking into consideration the fact that when one gets to the top, there isn’t any quick way down. No zip-line, no helicopter or para-glider.

What’s been done on the way up has to be entirely replicated on the way down, but by then, there’s very little energy left to sustain the sizable effort required. Well, we both made it down to the car and I promised myself that I would seriously train to make my next and 11th ascent a much easier one!

No comments: