Thursday, September 26, 2019

Was “Cowboy” in Melk?

After a not-so-pleasant night, we woke up to Melk a medieval City on the Danube river. Just before leaving the USA, I called my friend “Cowboy” on his birthday and he had then told me that he and his wife Robbie, would be cruising the same river at about the same time on an Austrian boat called the “Theodor Körn”.
“Cowboy” used to live in Park City and recently moved to Huntsville, a small town in close proximity to Ogden, Utah. As we got out of our cabin, I could see this particular boat just ahead of ours, but couldn’t connect with my friend.

I'll try to get in touch with him again when he gets to Budapest early October. Shortly thereafter, we visited the Melk Abbey and got stunned with too much too see in far too little time. Call this “information overload.”

We returned to the ship and cruised on to Dürnstein. We enjoyed some free time exploring this picturesque village, and its Baroque-stylechurch that was made famous in the Wachau region by the legend of King Richard the Lionheart.

My wife and I were in the minority of those athletic enough to climb to the ruins of the castle that overlooks the little town. On the way down, we got drenched but survived the unexpected shower.

After drying up our clothes with the cabin’s hair dryer, we continued cruising on to Vienna and upon our arrival, we were rewarded by a scenic night tour of Vienna, a truly beautiful city.

No comments: