Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Coercive tipping

Yesterday, we had our windows washed. I can’t do this anymore because the height is too great and the ladder too heavy.

So for the second year in a row, we had the same company perform the same job and, of course, we had the same expectation. This would have made sense if the pair of window-washers that were sent to us were as motivated and experts as the ones we got the year before, but this wasn’t the case.

Well, consistency, just like perfection, are nice but never guaranteed. This said, we voiced our displeasure, got that hapless crew to redo a few panes and when I received the electronic bill for their performance, I noticed that a tip was “suggested” on the bottom part of the document, just before the total.

It read something like 10%, 15%, 20%, 25% and more. Now, let me ask you this; why should I tip those who wash my windows (especially if they do a lousy job), change my water filters, maintain the furnace, etc. ?

All receive a salary and if their salary isn’t enough I feel that their boss should give them a raise, even if at the end I’m being charged accordingly, but I really feel that this is tantamount of mendacity and I recent this manipulative “guilt-tipping strategy”. The 20% tipping at the restaurant is plenty enough.

What do you think?

No comments: