Saturday, May 20, 2023

My wife’s tech savvy

In our kitchen, well in view, there’s a Sharp “Atomic” clock that also shows the interior and outdoors temperatures. This later indication is very important to us when we go out, showing us if it’s either too cold or too hot and guides us to dress accordingly. Because of this, we find it extremely useful and wouldn’t do without it. 

The device is temperamental though, and when it malfunctions, as it often has  since we purchased it in 2006, trying to fix it often drives me crazy. This time, it quit reporting the outside temperature and I replaced the batteries in its outdoor sensor. Still the clock wouldn’t show the exterior temperature. 

I tried and tried to make it work and finally, out of patience, ordered a new one on Amazon. The company told me I would have to wait till June 8 to get it, which I could live with. I told my wife she’d have to do without outside temperature for a couple of weeks. 

That’s when she chimed in and said “Have you thought of changing the clock’s own batteries?” I said that it had not even came up to me since it was still telling the time, date and interior temperature alright. It didn’t mean it still could emit a signal to the sensor located through the wall, 20 feet away. 

This said, I realized it might not be such a bad idea and I immediately replaced its three AAA batteries. Then, bingo, it instantly picked up the signal from the sensor and we were back in business! I thanked my wife for her solid common sense, went online to cancel the Amazon order and envied my spouse superior sense of logic. 

Just like it takes two to tango, any wireless connection need flawless emitting and receiving functions!

No comments: