Saturday, May 13, 2023

Struggling with Patience

Managing patience has never been my forte. I’d pay more attention to it now, as I’m running out of time than when I needed that trait the most, and this is something I regret to have not developed during my more active life. 

I wanted to change the world, my stage in life, the companies or organizations I worked for, as it seemed to me that their slow pace of doing things was unnecessary and truly was a royal waste of time. 
\Unbeknownst to me for a long time, speed has always been my nemesis; I’ve always wanted to move fast, cut corners when I could, and satisfy my competitive drive, but all at the expense of patience. 

It’s only when I retired and began to grow a veggie garden that I began to appreciate not just the value, but the importance of time in growing herbs, lettuces and the like. True, you don’t pull on a salad leave to make it grow faster, like you didn’t pull on a fax when we used that form of communication, to read quicker what’s on it. 

I then realized that many decisions and most processes need to mature or “marinate” and stay quiet for a while so there’s a chance to revisit them and make them much better in the process. That’s when I realized that I would have walked a much longer and higher road if I had made patience part of my modus operandi but was lucky to end up okay in spite of my terrible haste. 

That’s also when I’m thinking to myself as a consolation: “I’ll do it during my next life!”

No comments: