Thursday, May 25, 2023

Serendipity and me

When I moved to America in 1977, the media rep for SKIING magazine taught me a new word and explained its meaning. I had never heard it before. 

The word was “Serendipity”, which means is an unplanned fortunate discovery. Serendipity is a common occurrence throughout the history of product invention and scientific discovery. For instance, Velcro, Post-it notes, Penicillin and many more inventions were all discovered that way.

Love stories too often happen by the magic way of serendipity. So how can we get that magic trick to work for us? I’m told by not trying to, which makes that tool even more elusive and hard to use. 

I’ve been beneficiary of that law of serendipity many times and often have attributed it to an act of God when I still was a believer or to pure, unadulterated luck! 

As to where the word serendipity comes from, The word was coined in 1754, by Horace Walpole, an English writer, and was inspired to him by The Three Princes of Serendip, the title of a fairy tale in which the heroes “were always making discoveries, by accidents and sagacity, of things they were not searching for”. 

In closing, I can only wish you and me much serendipity in our future!

No comments: