Wednesday, May 3, 2023

The miracle of creativity

Creativity is a wonderful process that never ceases to impress me! This to me can be illustrated with a problem, a flaw that we linked to the architectural design of the house we build in 2013 and that remained unsolved until recently. 

I write unsolved, because the change required hasn’t been implemented yet. 

I would have to design it and then do it myself or find someone to do it for me. The problem originated the first winter we lived in the house, we had a cold spell around Christmas of 2014 that lasted several days. 

We had installed a large tub in the master bathroom and the water lines were routed inside the wall as shown on picture A. 

As the weather got extremely cold, both pipes froze and thank God, they were not in copper, but these new flexible pipes made from cross-linked polyethylene, “PEX” for short. 

As a result, there was no damage and from that time on, we just shut the valve off during winter, so no long baths for about 5 months out of the year. 

Then, I thought of rerouting the line to the opposite side of the bathtub, but later realized that I couldn’t because I had heating ducts running across these, right in my way, so that’s when my inspiration came in and I dreamed of extending the wall as shown on picture B. 

This unexpected burst of creativity also gave me a fun summer project!

No comments: