Thursday, June 22, 2023

Mapping a way to and from Geneva airport

I have used the airport in Geneva hundreds of times in my entire life, mostly to go from and to the home village where I was raised in the Alps. 

There are basically two main options, following the most direct route or circumnavigating the city as the airport is located on my destination’s the opposite side. One huge hurdle is that the Rhone river splits the City in two, requires bridge crossing and with that, some major delays. 

Over the years, like everywhere else, things have changed enormously through continued expansion, and traffic has become both very intense and complex in navigating a metro area that's exploding on an aging layout, trans-border traffic with France and roadways everywhere. 

What used to be the most obvious and direct route has gradually become gridlocked, and the advent of the GPS hasn’t been quite able to resolve these traffic issues as the options available are so multiple and complex. I'm not even mentioning the fact that the airport straddling the border offers to entrances, the main one on the Swiss side and a secondary one on the French side.

Further, Switzerland requires a $45 sticker to access its freeways, and in many instance my rental car doesn’t have it, because I rent or drop it at the French sector of the airport (rental rates there are significantly cheaper) . 

So way too many times, I've got stuck which led me to haplessly experimenting new routes or rush to make a departing flight and this never ends well. For these multiple reasons, I wanted, once and for all, find a better way for my next trip. 

To accomplish it, I used Google maps and also asked my friends who know the area like their back pocket to help me. Very few responded, because, like me, they probably had no idea what the most optimum solution was. 

It’s also true that we’re all are creatures of habit and are sticking to itineraries that feel second-nature to us while they might be not the very best, but we’re simply so attached to them, that we never seek a potential better way.

Dare I say, that after hours spent on the subject and with some good help from one of them, I found that so coveted "best itinerary" that I'll be following for my next trip. Sure, this kind of progress is arriving a bit late in my lifetime, but it still is priceless!

No comments: