Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Recurring computer nightmares

For the past 40 years, I’ve had my share of problems with computers, considering that we got our first computer in 1983. I should add, all kind of problems that always have driven me totally nuts, wanting to at least kick the house cat, bite the neighbor’s dog or something of the sort. 

Desperation was eventually followed by elation if and when the machine resurrected, but the cumulative sum of all the resulting stress is without a doubt what I place on the account of having gone bald at a fairly young age. 

From coffee spilled on keyboards, to total freeze of the machine or irretrievable file stuck on some bad hard drive, I had seen them all, or at least I had until yesterday when my mouse began flickering as it was Christmas in June. 

I stuck another, older mouse, inside the machine and the problem re-appeared with a vengeance. I didn’t what to do. Clicking the feeble pointer didn’t get me anywhere. Since it was a desktop PC, I didn’t have the touch-pad found on laptops. 

I called a troubleshooting service that couldn’t get into my desktop because the half-dead mouse didn’t let me do what I was instructed to do. Never had this happen to me before! This was a bad, new experience I had to welcome with glee as I was on the verge to learn something new and noteworthy! 

After struggling for several hours, I resigned myself to take my PC to some computer emergency room. I made an appointment, showed up today, the technician turned on my computer tried with my mouse, all was well, check with my mouse and it was perfect. 

I felt stupid, owed nothing and drove back home with my renewed machine. Just like me, the computer might have felt tired and a good, long night sleeping took care of the problem!

No comments: