Monday, December 21, 2009

Dedicated volunteer

This must be my fifth year volunteering at the Park City's race department. At the beginning of the season, the first series of races are held every year in honor of Eric Hays, a former Park City Ski Team member who died in a car accident in 1981 at the age of 18. This is an open event for about 250 young athletes ranging in age from 13 to 20 and consisting of two slalom and two giant slalom spread over a period of four days.
Over the years, I have assumed a wide variety of functions, in an even greater range of weather conditions. This year, I was a “stager” in the starting area, making sure to herd the racers like one would herd cats; in addition, the weather has been for the most part just delightful. The only downside this time was that my back hurt a bit from standing such long hours. Is it a sign that this might be my last year?

No comments: