Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Multitasking anyone?

I touched on that subject last July regarding the use of cell phones while driving. Yesterday, I as was performing my last day as a volunteer at the first Park City ski races of the season, one of the start judges (in training) was attempting to conduct his business over the phone while trying to do his job. Obviously he couldn't do everything well and was probably lousy at both tasks. The newer generations tend to find us inept at performing several different tasks at once as they have been raised doing their homework listening to loud music or even watching TV.

I have a tough time simultaneously performing two activities well. If it's menial enough, like working in the garden, painting, or even skiing, I can “hear” music, but in the heat of the action or when the job requires more concentration, I can't “listen” to it. I wouldn't want to have open-heart surgery performed on me by someone talking on her cell phone or listening to his iPod, and I seriously doubt that Antonio Stradivari was manufacturing his famous violins while listening to the Rolling Stones...

No comments: