Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Rocks, razor-thin snow and “rocker skis”

As I was riding the lift yesterday afternoon, skiing on skimpy snow, peppered with rocks, stumps and twigs, I couldn't help, but glance at my neighbor's “rocker skis.” These counter-nature implements were evidently offending the snow gods and keeping the fresh snow spigot shut. Why in the world would you go out, on a day like yesterday, riding a pair of big, reverse camber, sans-sidecut skis? Only if this one the only pair of ski you owned, I guess.

You see, I'm less fancy; instead of "rocker skis," I'm using my “rock skis” for the moment and saving my decent boards for new snow and of course, powder. This said, I don't need these bend-over-backwards skis because I still know how to make my skis “rock” whenever the conditions are decent enough, and my simple goal is to ski fluidly, effortlessly (at least in appearance) and fast enough, no matter what the conditions are, but without surrender to the gods of snobbery that twist my arm to make me own a pair of “rocker skis...” So for the moment, I'll stick to my already too wide, traditional skis and won't run the risk of looking like a fool with stupid sticks like this on a day like that!

1 comment:

Bill Doble said...

Next thing you know, someone will take a page out of surfing or sailboats and decide that a reverse sidecut ski (narrow tip & tail, wide mid-section)will be the best way to carve through (frozen) water! You tell `em JF!