Friday, December 11, 2009

Shaming politicians into action

As the health care reform debate is getting close to be settled, albeit emasculated, I keep on writing to my politicians. Arguably, Utah is one of the most conservative state in the union and our two senators are a perfect match for that forbidding point of view. Yet, I still send them a note, pushing them to make a vote they won't do. To attempt that miracle, I manipulate them; I “shame” them into action. Here's an excerpt of my last message to Orrin Hatch and Bob Bennett:

Merry Christmas Senator!
I am of your constituents, and this holiday season, my wish is for health-care reform.
You see, we can't be trailing other civilized nations in the way we look at health care and you're far too smart not to realize it. You wouldn't want to remain in the Flintstones era, right?
Look at the passage of this bill as your best contribution ever in this Christmas season. Up in Heaven, Jesus will look kindly at your act of pushing this legislation and will say: “This is my kind of Senator!”


I also wanted to say that St. Peter would guarantee them a shaded parking spot in heaven, once there, but I thought I shouldn't push it too much...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pretty sure both senators are all for health care reform... but the bill presently before the Congress isn't really reform... so I hope the senators both vote no for the bill... but yes for something else better they can come up with!