Sunday, December 13, 2009

Val d'Isère Super G and other thoughts

Even though I believe Super G is a useless alpine event, I enjoyed watching Saturday's race in Val d'Isère because it was made so hard by the course natural difficulty and the circumstantial lack of visibility. It was rendered highly selective and for once, you could see a visual difference between skier A and skier B; they had to either take some huge risks or en up with a mediocre time.

I even saw a couple of racers performing a life-saving snowplow, something I thought was part of the 1950's ski racing technique panoply! My point is that in order to keep the sport interesting to watch, the FIS should add difficulties to races that, over the years, have instead become too “sanitized” with breakaway gates and seamless grooming. And please, keep it simple, stupid; get rid of the Super G!

No comments: