Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Ah! Technology...

These days, there's a computer or a smart chip everywhere; not just in our PCs, but in our cars, garage doors, watches, phones, alarm-clocks, outdoor temperature monitors, thermostats, climate control systems, TV receivers, DVD players, internet radio, cameras, coffee-machines, kitchen hoods, microwaves oven, refrigerators and stoves. All is computerized and when something breaks down, needs a replacement battery or just doesn't work right, it's time to locate and decipher the instructions for use and spend quite a bit of time fixing the problem.

The other day, I had to reset our kitchen clock that also tells us the outside temperature and a bunch of other stuff. Unknowingly, I set the alarm, and for the two following nights, we heard an unidentified “beep-beep” at 2 am! The next morning, I went back to the instructions and fixed the problem. My wife is terrified when she thinks of the day I'll die, and she'll be left alone to fight against all these out of control computer chips. When she does, I just smile thinking that in spite of all these pesky downsides progress isn't that bad after all...

No comments: