Wednesday, April 21, 2010

More careful...

In spite of some negative gutfeelings I went to Snowbird yesterday for some more skiing. The spring conditions were as bad as they can sometime get when the temperatures are far too warm as they were and to make matter worse, I arrived around 11 am, after the few groomed runs had began to turn into slush. Never to give up on a skiing opportunity and on my day pass investment, I stayed well after past 3 pm and almost skied 40,000 vertical feet, most of it riding the tram.

Needless to say that I was done when I got back to the car, but if I skied intensely, I remained extremely careful the all time. Three broken ribs and one severed Achilles later, I've now decided that I don't want to hurt myself anymore while skiing. I've become much more aware, careful and watchful. I don't embrace the kind of risks I used to take and instead, have become much more calculating. This doesn't mean that I don't go fast anymore, but I've simply become much more selective in the manner I blend velocity and conditions. This could be an admission of growing older; I'd prefer to say that I'm becoming much wiser...

No comments: