Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A Parkite's prayer

When I was a little kid and when my knowledge of jokes and sayings was also in its enfancy, I was struck by a prayer attributed to my local folks from the Savoie region of the French Alps, that went a bit like this:

A Savoyard's prayer 
God Almighty, keep me healthy for long,
Get me some lovin' on occasion,
Be super gentle with my taxation,
Don't expect me to work all day long,
But let me drink an awful lot of Apremont!

As you may not know, “Apremont” is a dry, white wine from Savoie. I think this prayer was adapted from a similar one found in some other French province, but somehow in those day it worked and got very well received when printed on some postcard that visiting tourists would send home.

A Facebook friend of mine just posted it today and this inspired me to write an equivalent prayer, that one named “A Parkite Prayer” and would apply to folks like me living in Park City Utah. So this is what I came up with:

A Parkite's Prayer
God, keep me super-active at my age,
Give me more love than I can manage,
Keep me out of inversion*,
Dump deep powder on countless occasions,
And fill my glass with Wasatch Evolution!**



* inversion weather is a deep smog that keeps the sun away for week on, at lower altitudes in the Salt Lake Valley near the Great Salt Lake 
** Wasatch Evolution is one of many beer locally brewed in Park City.
 

No comments: