Sunday, January 24, 2016

The stress of work

For at least ten years, we've been volunteering for the early morning shifts at the Park City Library Film Series' concession, during the Sundance Film Festival, from 7 am through 10 am. For the first time in so many years, the job felt like real, exhausting work.

We had to show up on time, re-learn the cash register, familiarize ourselves with the new items and the changed prices. Are we getting old or just getting out of the habit of working?
I vouch for the latter, believe strongly that work means stress and the best thing that happened to me over more than a decade, when I retired, was to get that poison out of my life and this had done me a lot of good ever since.

Are we going to volunteer again next year? We aren't sure yet. We may physically recover between now and next year and this may affect our answer!

No comments: