Saturday, August 1, 2020

Goodbye old business suits!

The last time I wore a business suit was, I believe, more than 15 years ago, at a friend’s wedding in Vail, Colorado.

Since that time, my suits have been waiting patiently inside a downstairs bedroom closet, and on numerous occasions, my wife has begged me to get rid of the ones I would never wear again.

On Thursday, I finally gave in, and proceeded to conduct a painful sorting of what should be kept and what should be given to a local charity.

One good news was that all of my clothes were still fitting me easily, albeit in a baggier fashion than what’s fashionable these days. I must have lost quite a bit of muscle mass, even though I was never a muscled man.

The bad news was that for the most part, the styling was no longer in fashion. Granted, it might return some day, but without any guarantee that the jackets styling will be synched with the trouser’s, plus the time element make such a wait highly speculative!

With all these considerations in mind, I kept a tuxedo, a sport jacket, a timeless navy blazer, a pair of gray slacks and a navy pin stripped, double-breasted suit even though that style is not (yet?) in fashion again.

When all was said and done, this rescue felt like a lost cause as I’ll probably will have to step up and buy a new suit if some future event requires my wearing some decent, formal attire!

No comments: