Monday, August 31, 2020

Is Amazon my next ski lift?

Back in 2016, Amazon filed a patent for a drone-powered towing system designed for skiers, surfers, skaters, and other folks that want to be pulled by other means than their own muscular strength. The patent was issued this past August 18.
The idea is to allow the user to direct the drone, like telling the machine to pull the user towards a desired location while figuring out the best path, including avoiding obstacles like rocks, cliffs or trees.

Also, from what I’ve read, the drone is powerful enough to lift my body up in the air in order to skip a chalet, a crossing elk-herd or a high-voltage line!

So far, this concepts sounds like it would ideal for me. Still, I wonder what I’ll do with the drone when I reach my uphill destination and get ready for my descent? I guess, I’ll strap it on my back and roll the pull rope into it, or something along these lines...

I hope this invention will be available to the skiing public before I quit skiing altogether and while I can still muster the physical strength to turn my boards into deep powder snow or crud.

I doubt Park City Mountain or Deer Valley Resort will let me on their hills, but I’ll probably ski-drone elsewhere on the Wasatch Front or in the nearby Uintas mountains.

Finally, I’ve already figured out that my future own personal lift should cost me no more than the total price of two season passes!

No comments: