Sunday, August 16, 2020

Prudent return to mountain-biking

This Saturday was my first day mountain biking of the season.

Now at age 72. I have only been on fat tires once a season since I turned 70. More hesitancy, less brute force would be the key observations on that very first day.

Since we’ve had such a dry spring and summer, erosion has done some significant damage to the trails and rocks are showing larger and more frequently, requiring much more attention than in seasons past.

Much more than skiing or road-bike riding, the first day out on a mountain bike is always marked by lots of tension, from a hesitant mind to a pair of white knuckles that firmly grab the handlebar and stand ready to squeeze the brakes.

When the ride is smooth and the slope isn’t too steep, there is nothing quite like it, though! I would love to ride more often for the rest of the summer if I can muster the right balance between becoming much more relax and remaining extremely attentive.

I’ll let you know how this plan develops...

No comments: