Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Samsung’s planned obsolescence?

You would think that Samsung, the TV world’s market leader, with its 20% share of global shipments would be more concerned and careful about its consumers.

In our home we have two of their TVs and at least three cell phones made by the Korean firm. Yet, Samsung, in spite of its great products, seems to be oblivious of its consumers’ happiness with its brand.

For the past 10 days, I couldn’t load directly the app menu by pressing on what they call their Smart Hub. An error message invariably came up announcing “Smart Hub is being updated. Please try again later”.
I went online and discovered that it was a widespread problem dating back to 2018 and that seemed unresolved by the techs at Samsung. I unsuccessfully tried several “recipes” offered on the web, further wasted my time on Samsung chat feature and finally called the company three times and none of their support folks was able to help me; in fact, they knew less than I did on the subject.

I finally realized that the app display had changed ever since I got the error-message, and that it now takes longer before the new displays fully loads on my screen (1 or 2 minute, an eternity in modern electronic timeline).

Further, this display vanishes too quickly and don’t let the operator the time to make a selection. This is not impossible to deal with, but certainly inconvenient enough for many people to choose to dump their current TV and buy a new one.

If I can give them a piece of advice, don’t buy another Samsung, the company certainly doesn’t deserve a repeat purchase, go for an LG or something else!

No comments: