Thursday, December 24, 2020

What’s still in my bucket list?

Before we get into the list that’s inside the bucket, it’s only fair to remember the origin of that expression. It was coined by the 2007 movie “The Bucket List” featuring Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman, playing two terminally ill men on their road trip with a wish list of things to do before they’d "kick the bucket". 

The expression itself pictures a person standing on a pail, or bucket, with their head in a slip noose, ready to kick their support so as to commit suicide. This has therefore become a “list of things to do before one dies”. 

This said, I don’t often consider what’s left, or should remain in my bucket list and I need to think hard to fill it with a bunch of wishes that could occupy my available time-space between now and my earthly departure. 

  • What stands out at the moment is learning Spanish. I claim many aborted attempts and nothing to show for them. 
  • Another wish is more a work in progress than any specific action; I want to become a better person and here’s a domain in which have my work cut out for me! 
  • Then, there is a series of ski trips with friends who really can turn’em. That would entail places in the Alps I don’t know well, South America and Japan. 
  • Outside of my skiing addiction, there would be a trip to New Zealand, one to Indochina, one to Bhutan. 
  • Another series of visits in Northern Europe like the British Isles, Finland and Scandinavia and perhaps a trip to Morocco and Kenya. 
  • I’d love to go to Iran, but am afraid that door is shut. 
  • Finally, there are many more local trips that are much easier to plan and organize. 

As you can see, my bucket is pretty full and I better get going...

No comments: