Friday, May 7, 2021

Biden’s upcoming challenges

I like Biden much better than I liked Trump, yet this said, I’m concerned about his overly ambitious infrastructure and family plans. 

I don’t like either plans in their entirety and think that some parts should be trimmed down or eliminated and I don’t believe that Biden will be able to “negotiate” with the Republicans and find a solution that has been a commonly reached compromise. 

Instead, he’ll have to go alone, meaning with his Democrat fellows, using budget reconciliation if he can shepherd all of his Senators towards a single goal. While this isn’t impossible, it will be extremely tight if it ever works out. 

Forget about health care improvements, eliminating the filibuster or packing the Supreme Court. I don’t think there will be enough fuel or political left for all these other goals. 

Am I pessimistic? Not really, I simply want to believe in miracles and I hope there’s a strategy under these grand plans that we, common mortals, can’t even imagine, see and understand, but it might magically gel to save the day. 

As Albert Einstein once said: “Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.”

No comments: