Saturday, May 22, 2021

Getting to hard-to-access places (cont’d.)

...I tried everything I could think of, to get that small hexagonal screw head to release and clear the way for the part I wanted to clean. 

I first tried a flat wrench, but since it was designed to handle a tiny hex screw, it was far too short, then I extended it by attaching a lever to it, so I could reach the end, then a much longer wrench, then the new, fancy “right-angle” drill extensions that power-drills now offer as needed accessories, but those couldn’t clear the narrow space available.

Finally I found a one foot long drill bit flexible, soft shaft extension, that could adapt to the rather convoluted space I was dealing with. 

Even with that tool, its magnetic screw bit holder was too deep to securely hold on to the screw, and I had to take ¼” off it, add an extra small magnet inside the cavity, so I finally could securely hold the screw so I wouldn’t lose it in the underbelly of the furnace. 

Only then, was I in business; I took off the screw, removed the flame sensor, cleaned it thoroughly before I could replace the whole assembly without struggling to much. 

A lot of problem-solving and work that only retirement could both afford and justify!

No comments: