Monday, May 31, 2021

Foes, friends and adversity make us stronger

I’ve always been one who believes that adversity brought a lot to our construct and makes us much stronger than success and in the same vein, the same can be said of enemies that do everything they can to make our lives a tiny bit more miserable and painful. 

They’re in fact contributing to, or fabricating, whatever adversity we’re facing. 

Friends of course are the soothing element in which we find refuge to forget the bad things that hit us, get some encouragement or even some constructive advice. 

This is where I can see and I now fully understand the relationship between the “love your enemy” approach preached by Mahatma Gandhi and all others non-violent leaders. 

By the way, this universal law is confirmed in sports in which aggressive adversaries are key to high performance, where athletic talent stimulate and allow for records. Strong opponents fuel excellence. 

Now, and only now, can I understand that concept, live comfortably with it, and say: “Give me a good enemy to help me advance in life...” 

Sometime, profound ideas take a long time to sink in!

No comments: