Sunday, May 16, 2021

Skiing Vorlaz

Fifty years ago today, in the company of three other friends, I climbed and ski Vorlaz peak that towers over the Lindarets valley, near Avoriaz, France. 

That would be one of the two times I’d ski that nice, steep bowl. 

The first time was, a year or so earlier, when a helicopter from the “Protection Civile”, now Sécurité Civile, a french arm of the government, graciously whisked me along with Henri Marullaz, a colleague ski instructor, to the top in just minutes at taxpayers' expense.. 

The conditions were good and the experience very, very pleasurable. I’d never skied it again as I was now on the cusp of leaving for a new world of adventures, down under, in Australia, and most likely I may never ski down that special place in the future. 

Thank God, they didn’t install a lift on top of that peak (one of my old, highly questionable wish!)

No comments: