Tuesday, October 5, 2021

A first trip ‘round the world, part 67

I landed at Noumea on October 4th and was lucky to stay with an Australian family that were among my Mt. Buller clients and happened to be vacationing there. 

I remember that they had a daughter quite infatuated with me and she gave me a copy of “Tea for the Tillerman”, Cat Stevens’ latest album, as a parting gift. I would reconnect with these folks again when they came to ski Avoriaz a year or so later. 

They were both very nice and generous to me! I stayed for a couple of days with them and soon was on my way to Tahiti, as my flight itinerary was firmly reserved and I wasn’t able to extend my stay at will. 

I must say that I remember absolutely nothing about New Caledonia, except that it was the first time I heard French spoken all around me since I had left my home country on May 29.

When I left Nouméa, and just like Gérard and Marcel before me, I got a chance to live October 7 twice, once there, and one day later in Tahiti as I crossed the date line!

No comments: