Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Skiing while it’s still possible…

I’ve recently skied in terrible conditions, with temperatures over freezing in the morning and reaching up to 66 degrees during the day. 

Skiing was good during one to two hours and after that it literately was “rotten snow”, not just your garden-variety slush. Why did I do that? 

The answer is very simple, as I’ve said many times, but jokingly, “Our ski turns are counted…” Well, this Bible-like words of wisdom aren’t a joke, the earth is warming fast, too fast in fact for our own good.

This happens as an ice shelf the size of New York City just collapsed in East Antarctica, an area that had long been thought to be stable. That coincided with freakish warm spell, last week, when temperatures soared to 66 degrees (19 Celsius) warmer than normal.

So now, you may understand why I ski as much as I can while skiing remains available as a form of recreation...

No comments: