Wednesday, March 23, 2022

When 3G comes to an end

March 2022 is the end of 3G as we knew it in the United States. My French countrymen are luckier, they’ll keep theirs through 2028! 

I knew this already when my solar panel supplier told me a few months ago that his company was scrambling to find and implement a 5G monitoring system to replace the original 3G's, which they haven't been able to secure as of yet. 

More recently, and to my total bafflement, my 4G smart phone came to a screeching halt as far as internet reception was concerned and began having trouble with texting. 

After cursing at my device and thinking of getting a new 5G right away, instead of waiting for this summer as planned, I looked into its settings and found out that they were adjusted to 3G, so no wonder I was kept out of internet service. 

I made the change and, voilà, I’m now running on 4G/LTE which explains why since I bought that phone in July of 2019, I had not be happy with its crawling (3G) speed (about 20 times slower), so that part is finally taken care of and I can wait for this summer to get a new phone. 

Welcome to 5G, I’m now ready for it!

No comments: