Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Competition and me

I've never really enjoyed participating in races of any kind (running, cycling or skiing) as they never fail to bring out the competitor in me by stressing me too much, making me feel uncomfortable and often sick. It's not a situation that I particularly like. 

That said, I always remain in competition with myself. That's it, I am in competition between what I am able to provide and what I consider to be my potential. This is called self-competition. Is it good or bad? In fact, self-competition is simply pursuing one's own unrealized potential. 

When we find ourselves in competition with people, we have to follow rules invented by others instead of creating the ones that suit us perfectly. This brings additional stress by letting other individuals define our own performance criteria.

In a way, it forces us to compromise and even give up what suits us better, to satisfy other people's preferences. This is a bit why I am convinced that self-competition contributes even more to our personal development. 

We just have to set ourselves ambitious and exciting goals that are also useful and traceable, and by integrating our own values. When we are in competition with others, we leave it up to someone to define our objectives and that’s too bad.

No comments: